Subject Re: [firebird-tools] flamerobin 0.4.0 is released
Author Milan Babuskov
Hi,

Scott Taylor wrote:
> Suddenly, going from version 0.2.0 to 0.4.0 requires a lot of third party
> parts to install, wx, Mono... libXinerama? that's as far as I am willing
> to go, I don't even want to know what Mono requires. Too bad, I thought
> this was going to be a kewl project for Linux users.
>
> What was wrong with the way you were going with 0.2.0?
>
> Perhaps if you offered a working binary, for Linux users, without the need
> to install all these third party libs. (I didn't see one anyway)

I had some problems with e-mail delivery of group (my ISP put Yahoo! on
spam blacklist), so I missed some posts here. Luckily I caught this one.
directly regarding anything related to FlameRobin.

Now, on to answers:

Version 0.4.0 binaries are built on various Linux distributions. Gtk2
binary is built on Ubuntu 5.04 (Ubuntu .deb package has the same
binary). RPM package is built on Fedora Core 4 machine. Since FlameRobin
uses wxWidgets, it got all wxWidgets' dependencies, which are Xinerama,
Mono, and whatnot. I admit it is ugly, so I guess I'll manually
configure wxWidgets to use only the things needed by FR for the next
release. For version 0.2.5, gtk2 package was build on a virgin Slackware
10 system, so I there were no deps.

Gtk1 package is build the same way as before - on the same computer. So,
it should have the same dependencies as in version 0.2.0. You can use that.

Debian package (recently uploaded) is linked dynamically with wxWidgets,
so you can install wx separately, and then FR (a matter of simple
apt-get). It runs on Sid, and AFAIK, isn't compatible with Sarge.

The Best Thing(tm) if you're running Linux is to build it from source.
No problem with deps. I do understand that wxWidgets download is huge if
you only need it for FR.

Thanx for pointing out the problem. In the end, I would like to know
which distribution are you using and which package you downloaded.

I'll make sure that binaries for 0.5.0 only require what they really need.

--
Milan Babuskov
http://fbexport.sourceforge.net