Subject Re: [firebird-tools] FbConfigMgr
Author Helen Borrie
At 09:50 AM 13/07/2003 -0300, you wrote:
>I have a working version of this utility in CLX (Win/Linux). Didn't
>have time to check all the linux dependencies to be able to distribute
>it for testing on linux yet, but it seems to work ok on my Linux box
>(of course with Kylix installed). I also integrated an ALIAS manager
>to the utility.
>
>Maybe it's time to post the code in the fb-tools list and let people
>test it and update the strings. Any suggestions ?

No, don't post the code in the list. Versioning would just go out of
control. We use CVS for Firebird projects just to prevent that.

If you have Kylix code for FbConfigMgr, it's important that you include it
in the tree.

No problem with discussing the code issues here though. A couple I can
think of, are 1) making the Linux version text-based to avoid the enormous
overhead of running X on the database server and to avoid the QT
incompatibilities; and 2) making a Delphi (Windows) version that can
handle the config files remotely for a Linux server. (I guess as long as
we have tools that depend on reading the Registry, they can't be considered
for remote use for Windows servers...)

To tell the truth, I find the config files easier to manage with Notepad
and Pico respectively, than with this utility as it is currently
done. Hard-coding the configuration parameter names and the Registry key
is not pretty and it's already causing headaches.

regards,
Helen