Subject Re: [firebird-support] Compatibility questions: Current release versus 1.5.3.4870
Author Mark Rotteveel
On 2017-07-26 17:52, scottkin@... [firebird-support] wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I know it's been a while since I've posted on this Group, but current
> circumstances have brought me back.
>
> Today, I discovered that Microsoft forcibly removed fbserver & fbguard
> for version 1.5.3.4870. This version is included with SAM Broadcaster
> v3, which is critical to my work as an "On-Net Personality" on a very
> popular music stream. There was no warning for it's removal at the
> Windows 10 Creator's Update "updates" that happened recently. All of
> the files for Firebird were removed. The application's DB is safe.
> When trying to re-install Firebird-1.5.3.4870-0-Win32.exe, Windows
> throws the "This App can't run on your PC" message with "Firebird
> doesn't work on this version of Windows. An updated app may be
> available" message and shows buttons with "Learn more" and "Close"
> I've been running the 1.5.3.4870 build under Windows 10 with *zero*
> problems up until the last update.

Technically, Firebird 1.5 is not compatible with Windows 10, iirc it
hasn't even been compatible with Windows Vista. However I do know
Firebird 1.5 can run on Windows 10, but for example the local protocol
doesn't work. I suggest you try 1.5.6 first (I don't really understand
why you are still three point-release behind the latest 1.5; 1.5.3 was
released in 2005, 1.5.6 in 2009). However I expect that the 1.5.6
installer won't work either. The alternative is to try to use the zipkit
(see https://www.firebirdsql.org/en/firebird-1-5/).

That is: manually install Firebird from a zip archive, and register
services and client DLL manually as necessary using instsvc and
instclient.

And you could always try to use a VM with an earlier windows version to
run Firebird.

> My question (and I'm sorry if I'm asking this before doing any
> research on my own) is simply, how compatible is the 2.5 version with
> databases created with 1.5.3?

Please consult the release notes of Firebird 2.0, 2.1 and 2.5 for
compatible changes. However, I suggest that if you are in panic

> I'm nearly in panic-mode here, and exploring all options to get this
> resolved.

I suggest you don't jump and upgrade to Firebird 2.5 in panic, but try
the zipkit first, and then when things have settled down, you should
investigate upgrading to Firebird 3 (or 2.5), and carefully test your
application. However don't do this in a rush. There were a number of
breaking changes (some of them subtle!) between 1.5 and 2.0.

Good luck,

Mark