Subject Re: [firebird-support] Firebird 2.1 on OSX Lion
Author Craig White
On Aug 10, 2011, at 6:44 AM, guilherme.bradasch wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm experiencing something weird with Firebird after I upgraded my OSX to Lion (10.7). On Snow Leopard, everything ran smoothly. After the upgrade, I couldn't connect with any fdb on my local machine.
>
> After reinstalling (I use FirebirdCS-2.1.4-18393-lipo - I need both 32 and 64 bits libraries), I can connect to local databases only if they are not on my home directory (/Users/guimas). It always gives me a "permission denied", no matter what the file attributes are.
>
> I've chown the fdb file to firebird:firebird and chmod it to a+r and a+w, and it didn't help.
>
> I created a directory in /var/lib/firebird, chmod and chown it, and fdbs there work.
>
> Looking at the firebird.log, I have this message, when I try to connect to a fdb in my home folder:
>
> imacguimas Wed Aug 10 10:01:45 2011
> operating system directive semctl failed
>
> imacguimas Wed Aug 10 10:01:45 2011
> Permission denied
>
> So... It works perfectly if the fdbs are not in the home folder. Is that a bug introduced by Lion?
----
probably not - you probably tinkered with the permissions on your $HOME directory in Snow Leopard because defaults are not to let other users into most of the folders.

Put your DB's somewhere inside your 'Public' or 'Sites' directories in your $HOME or make a new directory inside your $HOME that allows others read/write access

Craig