Subject Re: [firebird-support] firebird monitoring
Author Milan Babuskov
Leonardo Carneiro wrote:
> I'm planning to make a plugin for Nagios that will monitor some feature for
> a given Firebird database. I'm no expert on Firebird at all, although i have
> been administrating systems that make use of it for some time now.
>
> There are 2 main things that I want to know now.
>
> 1. What are the main things that i should monitor?

I would only check for availability (is the service online). The rest
(I/O, CPU usage, etc.) is easier to check with system tools than inside
Firebird. Standard Linux administration tools and a little grep/sed/awk
manipulation is usually enough to extract what you need.

> 2. How can i gather such data? There is a documentation on how to gather it?

You can query the MON$ tables. Take some administration tool and look at
system tables that start with MON$ to get some idea. To gather this info
you need to connect to a database and run queries. This means that you
need to know path or alias name to each database you want to monitor.

There are various way to do this, I have done it via IBPP library,
here's an example:

http://fbexport.sourceforge.net/nagios.html

It's open source, you can extract what you need and build upon that.

> About question two, once I saw a software named Sinatica that gather such
> data, and IT SEEMS that is gather this data from some administrative tables
> that holds this kind of metadata. Is this the way? Where can i found
> documentation about such tables?

For detailed information about each monitoring table, read the file
README.monitoring_tables in 'doc' directory of your Firebird installation.

--
Milan Babuskov

The easiest way to import XML, CSV
and textual files into Firebird: