Subject Re: [firebird-support] auto-search ?
Author Lester Caine
Robbie wrote:
> Not sure if this is the correct term ... but let me explain that for which I am looking.
>
> I've seen programs which, as you type one character at a time ( let's say a Vehicle Identification Number ( VIN ) ) and for each character the end-user types, the application moves down to the 1st record in the VIN Data file which starts with that character. As the end-user types the 2nd character, it moves down to the 1st record which starts with those 2 characters, etc, till it either finds the VIN for which they're searching or when it the application has moved to one record below where the VIN would be sorted in Ascending order.
>
> I'm wondering if that can be coded in FireBird, either as a procedure or function or combination there-of.

This is a client side problem since the client program has to provide the key
strokes from the user. The client application simply narrows the filter of
results every time a key is pressed ...

IBObjects has provided the facility of years on windows applications, and
library functions for similar displays are available in all 'languages' used for
the client. My own PHP applications use AJAX to provide drop down lists of
matches as the user types in their browser. Almost as good as dedicated programs
on the client computers but without the need to deploy any software ;)

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL