Subject RE: [firebird-support] FBServer goes to rail
Author Bill Greenwaldt
All,

Follow on questions extracted.

That's too vague. What does "clean old transactions and alerts from the
database" mean, actually?
Records from two different tables. Strings.

How do you know it's a corrupt database? What symptoms do you get that
leads to that conclusion?
gfix -v -full nets the following:

Summary of validation errors

Number of index page errors : 4

Number of database page errors : 5

"gone to rail" = ?????
Thrashes, consumes all of the available processor resources
(Task Manager shows task consuming 88 to 92 % of CPU as available.)

Describe what "locking up" means here.

System runs apps employing several external hardware
components. The hardware system becomes inoperative. Trivial task on the
operating system become burdensome due to no available processor.

gfix with which switch[es] delivers what information indicating a
problem?

See also second response.

If you want help in this list with what might be going on in the
database, you'll need to provide some info that describes the symptoms
in terminology that doesn't require others to recognize the idiom of
your programming environment.
My first exposure to the forum. Sorry.

Some times the devils in the details. Bottom line is, this
is a known corrupt database that I am working backwards on, basically a
post mortem. The first indication that there is a problem is that it
behaves badly when the perl scripts executes. The perl script and it's
actions, (get a record count in one operation, fetch records in groups
of 500 and delete them individually), may or may not be the root cause
of the problem. My real desire is to get more predictable behavior out
of Firebird when it encounters this, which is a little crazy, trying to
get something predictable out of something that is known corrupt. That's
why I thought the state information and the output of the DBI showing
the actions on the database may be more meaningful to a DB guru.

Thanks,

Bill Greenwaldt

Software Engineer

Perceptics