Subject Re: [firebird-support] 2.1.1 Admin P/W change - 8 characters - please help
Author Ismael L. Donis García
And because they have not corrected?, I believe that it is somewhat seriously ill

=========
¦¦ ISMAEL ¦¦
=========

----- Mensaje original -----
De: Helen Borrie
Para: firebird-support@yahoogroups.com
Enviado: martes, 27 de enero de 2009 03:23
Asunto: Re: [firebird-support] 2.1.1 Admin P/W change - 8 characters - please help

At 04:58 AM 28/01/2009, you wrote:
>Hi,
>

>We are having issues moving our Delphi application from IB to Firebird
>2.1.1. We have it working on Firebird 1.5, but 2.1.1 appears to have
>downgraded the admin. password to 8 characters.

Nope. It has never been > 8 characters.

>In the IB version, it was 9 characters.

You can define passwords with 9 (or more) characters but only the first 8 are used. The old standard 'masterkey' is a case in point. The actual password is 'masterke'. If you have users with 'masterkey' and 'masterketchup' their passwords are the same.

>How are others handling this? This appears to be a
>downgrade and will seriously impact our Delphi application code.

No change. Was 8, is still 8. There shouldn't be anything to "handle". The extra characters should just continue to be ignored at authentication time, just as they were in Fb 1.5 and IB.

But tell us what is happening when your application is passing these over-length passwords. "Having issues" doesn't say anything useful.

(One suspects that you might be trying to use a renamed copy of your old Fb 1.5 security.fdb as the security2.fdb on Fb 2.1. That won't work.)

> We use
>English, MS Server 2008 SP1, Vista Business SP1, XP Pro SP3. Any
>assistance would be greatly appreciated.

./heLen