Subject Re: [firebird-support] Effect of DefaultDbCachePages?
Author Alexandre Benson Smith
Ivan Prenosil wrote:
> Hi Alexandre,
>

>> I though that the connection parameter would override the database page
>> cache, In my mind the precedence would be:
>>
>> 1) if you specified cache size during connection, that value is used. Period
>>

> I think it is safer to use value set by administrator (gfix),
> than to let anybody fiddle with it (note that using of isc_dpb_num_buffers
> is not restricted to admin/owner only).

Yep, I from the security perspective it's completely right

So one can assume that a database with CS without a database specified
cache size is a potential to a DOS attack.

>> otherwise
>> 2) if the database has specified cache size (e.g. using gfix), then that
>> value is used
>> otherwise
>> 3) DefaultDbCachePages is used.
>>
>> In fact it doesn't matter in practice for me I never use connection
>> specific buffer size, just the database specified one. But I think the
>> order I said would make more sense (at least on my narrow point of
>> view), since if I want for some reason and for a special case a distinct
>> buffer size I could supply it just for that connection, overriding the
>> database default.
>>

> You can verify it yourself, it is just one minute test :)
>
> Ivan

Oh yeah ! :) It's just a matter of curiosity, I never used and don't
intend to use connection specific cache size, I always use gfix to set
the database cache size.

I willl test it another day... But I am confident in your words :)

see you !

--
Alexandre Benson Smith
Development