Subject Re: [firebird-support] Varchar size overhead
Author Alexandre Benson Smith
Douglas Tosi wrote:
> In your case you have 1968 trailing spaces for record, so you would have
>> 4 chunks of 512 spaces (in fact 3 chunks of 512 and the other of 432),
>> this would put an overhead of 8 bytes per record on your varchar(2000)
>> column,
>>

> But the difference between average record length is 30 bytes. There
> must be something else going on.
>
> regards,

Perhaps I am wrong with the 512 byes compressed to 2 bytes :)

A bird told me some seconds ago that it is 127 to 2 not 512 to 2 :)

I remember that I read that a very long time ago, but I don't know were
it's documented, IIRC was a message in this list.

Let's wait if someone could clarify it

see you !

--
Alexandre Benson Smith