Subject Re: [firebird-support] Re: problems installing superserver 2.1 on ubuntu's intrepid ibex
Author Helen Borrie
At 06:19 AM 2/01/2009, you wrote:

>I read through some of the mailing list here and found a reference to
>ubuntu's community docs on installation here:
>https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Firebird2.1
>

>So, I removed the previous installation and decided on installing
>firebird 2.1 classic. I followed the directions to a T.
>

>It still does not work. I do not get any errors, but the firebird
>server does not start up. If I try starting it manually with:
>
>sudo /etc/init.d/firebird2.1-classic start

Classic is not superserver!

>It reports back the following:
>
> * Preparing /var/run/firebird/2.1...
> ...done.
>

>But there are no server processses running. I can't find fb_inet or
>firebird anything in my list of processes. If i try to connect to a
>database using isql-fb it doesn't work either.

With Classic, you will have one process running for each connection made to a database. If there are no connections, there is no process. The [x]inetd daemon simply listens there for a connection request.

In order to make a connection, you must have [x]inetd running.

With a [normal] Classic installation you can also make an embedded connection, i.e., no network. This requires the presence of the libfbembed.so combined client/server.

./hb