Subject Re: ReTuning Firebird Server for Optimal performance
Author Adam
--- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, Victor Perez
<victorjdc87@...> wrote:

> Hello:
>
> I am running firebird 2.0 in a Windows 2003 R2 operating system
server machine with two Intel Xeon 3.20 Ghz processors and 4 GB of
RAM. I have two hard disks HD1: one partition C: 135 GB in a RAID 5
 and HD2: one partition E: 68 MB in stand alone configuration.

> The database is running under SUPERSERVER configuration. I have two
databases in the system. SISTEMA.GDB (964 MB in size) installed in the
C: partition of HD1 (the same as the Operating system) and
SISTEMA2.GDB (1032 MB)  installed in the HD2  E: partition

> My problem is that when the database is under high demand from
processes (i..e. payroll processing,  end of the month sales/inventory
reports, etc) and more number of users accessing (upto 30) the
database, the system becomes very slow  and almost comes to a halt.

> I have:
>
> 1. Installed a seconday disk (HD2) dedicate to SISTEMA2 database
only and configure our applications so that the use this database the
most. The idea was to have the main load in a HD which was not also
using the Operating system

> 2. tried to play around with the firebird.conf file and changed the
following settings to:

> SortMemUpperLimit = 1582688000
> DefaultDbCachePages = 409600
> SortMemBlockSize = 134217728
>
> Can anyone tell me what can I do to get the database running at
optimum performance. I guess it will be worth noting that we have
configure our application using a lot of begin and commit trans which
locks tables, we have done this to assure completeness of the
transactions.

> I will appreciate help.

Tip 1: Don't hijack threads.

When you reply to a message, your question will be given a reference
number that attaches it to the message you reply to. Anyone using a
newsreader (and most of the people with enough knowledge to actually
answer your question will be!) will see your reply under someone
else's question. They may have selected to ignore that thread and will
therefore *never* see your question.

Tip 2: Your server is SMP, use Classic server.

Superserver does not (in any released version) have the capability to
use more than one CPU core. You are wasting 3 of the 4 cores by using
Superserver.

Tip 3: Fix your conf file for Classic server.

Values that make sense for Superserver are not good for classic
server. I would start with the default values for classic server, then
increase them after profiling. In particular, you must avoid at all
costs creating caches so large that the OS must page the cache back to
disk. That is the worst of both worlds.

Tip 4: Partitioning your drive does not reduce load on the disk,
although a secondary hard drive will. That said, not all hard drives
are equal. For example, moving your databases from a RAID volume to a
single drive may make it worse.

Tip 5: On Windows, never give any files a .gdb extension. Use pretty
much anything else - .fdb is a common one.

Adam