Subject ReTuning Firebird Server for Optimal performance
Author Victor Perez
Hello:

I am running firebird 2.0 in a Windows 2003 R2 operating system server machine with two Intel Xeon 3.20 Ghz processors and 4 GB of RAM. I have two hard disks HD1: one partition C: 135 GB in a RAID 5  and HD2: one partition E: 68 MB in stand alone configuration.

The database is running under SUPERSERVER configuration. I have two databases in the system. SISTEMA.GDB (964 MB in size) installed in the C: partition of HD1 (the same as the Operating system) and SISTEMA2.GDB (1032 MB)  installed in the HD2  E: partition

My problem is that when the database is under high demand from processes (i..e. payroll processing,  end of the month sales/inventory reports, etc) and more number of users accessing (upto 30) the database, the system becomes very slow  and almost comes to a halt.

I have:

1. Installed a seconday disk (HD2) dedicate to SISTEMA2 database only and configure our applications so that the use this database the most. The idea was to have the main load in a HD which was not also using the Operating system

2. tried to play around with the firebird.conf file and changed the following settings to:

SortMemUpperLimit = 1582688000
DefaultDbCachePages = 409600
SortMemBlockSize = 134217728

Can anyone tell me what can I do to get the database running at optimum performance. I guess it will be worth noting that we have configure our application using a lot of begin and commit trans which locks tables, we have done this to assure completeness of the transactions.

I will appreciate help.

Victor