Subject Re: [firebird-support] SuperServer Doesn't Always Start With XP.
Author Helen Borrie
At 16:18 21/07/2008, you wrote:
>Hi Folks:
>
> Firebird 2.1.0.17798, developing and running on XP Home.
>
> Yea, I see we're a release behind. I'll fix that real
>soon.
>
> I've never had Firebird server, super or classic, fail to
>start with XP.
>
> My partner has been plagued with 335544375 errors,
>"Resource not Available" on his laptop running SuperServer.
>And this means the server isn't running. He gets an error
>message and needs to go to the control panel - Firebird
>Service Control, and hit the start button.
>
> As I understand it, this doesn't happen all the time,
>but often enough to annoy him. Several times a week.
>
> He's done an install by hand, using the defaults. The
>install included having Firebird always start. He read the
>text in the Firebird Server Control dialog, the following
>are checked:
>
> Use the Guardian
> Run as a Service
> Start Automatically.
>
> Why doesn't Firebird always start when he starts his PC.
>
> I'm thinking about checking for that error and running
>"initsvc start" from the application. But I don't know if
>this is a viable option for all combinations of user
>privileges and the strict environment I'm hearing about for
>Vista.
>
> Suggestions?

This is an unfortunate effect of running anything on Windows as a service if you're in a hurry to get started. Windows makes up its own mind about what order to start services. As a guess, what your friend is seeing here is TCP/IP, Guardian and Fbserver services starting in totally wrong order when there's an "R" in the day of the week. The way you have it set up, Guardian starts fbserver manually once it has been started itself.

The cure is patience after bootup....go away and make breakfast....it might improve things if you ditch the Guardian and set the fbserver service to start automatically. You don't have to run instsvc remove and reinstall to try it out - just set the properties by right-clicking on the respective services in Services applet.

./heLen