Subject Re: File Location of Security2.fdb
Author wb7eok
Helen, thank you for responding. As this is actually the first
application we are going to release with Firebird in full-time use,
this was an option I had to explore. If it was possible to take
advantage of, great. If not? No problem. I change a couple lines in
the install script and its good to go. I was just trying to keep the
install as simple as possible for longterm maintenance.

As far as sysdba access for all clients? I do not believe that is the
case but I will look at that with the programmer in charge of the
connection. I know that with this application it does not require bone
chilling, upon threat of death, mission critical security. I believe
the way it is setup is that there is a user specific to our
application in the file. All users share that. This will be looked at.

Curious... I have your book and it has helped a lot. Great reference.
The reason I asked the question in the first place was because I could
not get a definite ya/nay answer. While it does center around pre 2.0
versions, are there some specific pages I should look at and is there
additional documentation regarding Security2.fdb and its nuances that
I can get my hands on? That would help greatly if there is.

Also, while on the subject and I apologize to the group in advance for
asking because it is a support forum, is there a new addition of the
Firebird book coming anytime soon that covers the 2x application? With
the commitment we are making to the product, I would like to build
that library as deep as possible.

Thank you!

Jack Wilson
Northwest Software...

--- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, Helen Borrie <helebor@...> wrote:

> At 11:26 AM 3/07/2008, you wrote:
> >As my company prepares to release a piece of software using Firebird
> >v2x, I am trying to finalize our installation. One of the key
> >decisions of this installation is the location of Security2.fdb.
> >
> >While I know the default location is the Firebird folder under Program
> >Files, I cannot believe that it is the only place it can reside. Our
> >goal is to isolate this file for our application's needs while
> >protecting it from other Firebird applications that might be installed
> >on the same computer causing a conflict.
> >
> >So my question is this. Is it possible to locate Security2.fdb in a
> >folder of my choosing? If so, how is this accomplished? I am hoping
> >that the file can be located in the same folder as our application's
> >executable. Any help, instructions, written documentation would be
> >greatly appreciated. I am looking to resolve this as soon as I can.
>
> The answer is that security2.fdb must be in the root directory of
the Firebird server installation that uses it.

> Perhaps you are a little misinformed about the authentication
database. It applies *at server level*, not at database level.
Current versions do not support having multiple security databases
that apply to specific user databases (that's coming in Firebird 3 or
later...)

> So - if your customer has other apps that use other user databases
served by the same Firebird server, then the same users have access to
all of the databases. The SYSDBA user has "god-like" access to all of
them; within user databases, users have access to objects by way of
SQL privileges.

> From the fact that you asked this... I do sincerely hope you
haven't written your database system with hard-coded SYSDBA access for
all clients, as an easy way out of having to design and implement a
schema for SQL privileges....or that you haven't resorted to a script
that does GRANT <ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING> ON <ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING> TO
PUBLIC. :-(