Subject RE: [firebird-support] Database design comments
Author Luis Carlos Junges
Hey Svein,

So, the 125 billions comparisons WILL BE MADE because i have no idea right now how brushes are similar. However the database will not have 125 billions entries. Like you said, anyone would ever want to know brushes with similarity lower than 90 %. So, just selecting those ones with similarity higher than 90%, i have no good guess now, but in the worst case it will have something like 40 Billions entries (i think). Whatever, still is higher than 1 billion, this is the reason i am posting here to see more ideas of this design and how to change or improve it. I do not like the idea of having more than 1 billions entries for this.

Doing in real time like you said i think is not possible because 200 clients will be accessing the records at the same time. Doing the calculus for each one will take more than 3 seconds. They do not want more than 3 seconds to see the results. Take in mind that this is a system that will be able to identify competitor brushes and my company brushes in a quick way, when the client is still on the phone. That is the objective of the project. So, 200 clients asking results to the system and each one needs a result in less than 3 seconds!

So, doing a prematched table (billions entries) would resolve my problem of 3 seconds to show the result. If there is a competitor brush similar with our company, the result will appear in less than 3 seconds. Now, i am not quite sure if this is the best solution.

The system has a search criteria that is filled by the user. With this search criteria i find that possible brushes index in the brush database. After finding those indexes, i search similarities in the my database.

Well, in fact i did not do it in real time to see how much time it takes because right no i am working on the GUI. I am not ready with this yet. If the times is quick reasonable it will be excellent. Its sounds stupid create a table with billions of entries, but i am trying to think the best solution to increase the speed.

Svein Erling Tysvær <svein.erling.tysvaer@...> escreveu: Why creating that huge a table? My guess is that out of those 125 billion comparisons, the vast majority will never be interesting.

I regularly work with tables of one or two million rows (the biggest being 15 million rows) that I join together. Normally, I've no problem joining three such tables together, but that is partially because the fields I join on are very selective and because I want a reasonably small result set (OK, it does happen that I want one million rows, but normally I'm content with a few thousand).

Occasionally I do something that I think can be compared to what you want to do - I have a set of persons that are cases and shall find another set of persons with similar characteristics (matching on gender and different dates) that can serve as controls (normally choosing randomly amongst those that fulfill my criteria, but if you want all that match, it just makes the procedure simpler). Admittedly, the main tables I normally use for such matching only contains 100000-300000 records.

Whenever I do such matching, I just use the tables as they are (with decent indexing, of course) and only extract the records that I'm actually interested in. Partly due to the 'choosing randomly' part, and partly due to not wanting to slow down the system for other users too much, I do go through each person separately and each person may in some cases take a few seconds. I would have avoided a 'prematched' table containing lots of combinations, if possible. I'd say similarity is something best handled through use of indexes... I simply doubt that anyone would ever want to know that 'these two brushes has a similarity of 75', when there are several hundred (thousand) brushes that are a lot more alike. And if one of the brushes changed in a very small way, then you might have to update thousands of records.

Hence, I'd recommend you to do such matching only when required. The actual matching will take some time, depending on your situation it could be a few milliseconds or several hours. Having the huge table you envision, is something I would only consider after having found (and verified that it wasn't due to a stupid mistake I did) that matching upon request actually was too slow.

You say that you have some criteria that always have to match. Creating an index that contains these fields may prove very useful (depending on the selectivity of the fields, an evenly distributed 'Boolean' field isn't a good candidate for any index).

HTH,
Set