Subject Re: cannot create new Firebird DB
Author bodhitree2
--- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, Helen Borrie <helebor@...> wrote:

> At 10:22 AM 7/07/2007, you wrote:
> >I've been trying to create a new Firebird DB on Debian Firebird 1.5
> >install. Unless I use root I get...
> >
> >"operating system directive open failed"
> >
> >I've found and followed the advice in this post...
> >

>"http://firebird.sourceforge.net/index.php?op=doc&sub=contrib&id=connect_to_linux"
> >
> >I've ensured the folder to where I'm attempting to create is
> >permissions 777. I've also added my non-root user to "firebird"
> >group. Finally, I'm using 'sysdba' acct to attempt DB creation.
> >
> >But this continues to vex me.
> >
> >There more to the story. I have pre-existing Firebird db's which I've
> >dropped onto the Debian machine, and I can work with those DB's
just fine.

> Provide the exact DDL that you are using for the CREATE DATABASE
> request. Also, say what you are using as a client for this task.
>
> ./heLen

Hi,

I'm using "isql" on a shell window of the Debian machine; I've also
tried FlameRobin and IB Manager from a remote windows machine. I'm
focusing on 'isql' as it is documented in the "The Firebird Book" I'm
using for reference / learning; which looks to be your book :).

The DDL is...

>> isql
Use CONNECT or CREATE DATABASE to specify a database
SQL> create database '/home/andy/stringsDB/external/lib/fdb/test.fdb'
user 'sysdba' password 'password';
Statement failed, SQLCODE = -902

operating system directive open failed
-Permission denied

And for good measure, here are my Debian packages...

ii firebird2-classic-server 1.5.3.4870-12
ii firebird2-common 1.5.3.4870-12
ii firebird2-server-common 1.5.3.4870-12
ii firebird2-utils-classic 1.5.3.4870-12

Also, the dir '/home/andy/stringsDB/external/lib/fdb' has permissions 777.

Regards,

Andy Koch