Subject Re: [firebird-support] Re: Blob Parsing Stored Procedure
Author Helen Borrie
At 10:33 PM 5/07/2007, Luke wrote:

>Helen, I don't doubt that my performance issues may be caused by the
>ODBC driver itself.

I doubt it.

>The driver seems to have a problem with Embedded Databases.

What do you think of as "embedded databases"? Maybe this is the
thing you need to sort out first....Firebird on Windows doesn't have
"embedded databases". What it does have is a client with a
single-user server instance embedded in it. In order to use it, you
have to rename the DLL (fbembed.dll) to fbclient.dll, or to gds32.dll
if you are using an old driver version. You must also take care to
have a correct folder structure for your application and the pieces
of the embedded server.

From a programmatic point of view, there is no difference between
using the embedded server and the full Superserver on Windows, other
than the connection protocol. Indeed, the embedded server is for
deployment only. Application work should be done using the regular
client library and the full server, to avoid access conflicts when
trying to execute from your IDE.

Have you considered asking a suitably informative question on the ODBC list?
Another thing you might consider is abandoning ODBC and using IBPP
(www.ibpp.org) . You might find it is more sympathetic to your style
of development and it has its own users' listserv.

>I will continue to try to get those guys to answer my questions and
>follow up.

Your original message to the ODBC list was posted June 8 and nothing
since. Four weeks is a lot of elapsed time in listserv terms...find
a better way to ask your questions and try again.

./heLen