Subject Re: [firebird-support] Re: FB on a SMP Linux box
Author Kendall Sears
I have to agree. Ubuntu is a fine end-user distribution, but RHEL is a
much more capable Server Distribution.

Please try to remember that the reason that different distributions exist
is to cater to specific needs. Just because a specific Desktop distro can
act as a Server doesn't mean that it is anywhere near optimal for server
tasks, and vice versa.

Believe me, you DON'T want to use RHEL as a desktop distro simply because
it is tweaked not to give X high priority. Many times the mouse will move
in a choppy manner because a server process is operating at that moment.
Most users would have a fit if their mouse movements and GUI clicks were
delayed by that much. Similarly, X uses too many CPU cycles to be used at
user priority on a dedicated server.

Kendall