Subject Re: Using an external table for logging
Author mspencewasunavailable
--- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, "robertgilland"
<robert_gilland@...> wrote:

> Yes there is a major problem there.
> Once Firebird opens an external file.
> Nothing other than Firebird can write to it.
>
> You want Firebird to log to the external table,
> but you probably want your delphi app to write
> to the table as well.
>
> Firebird will not allow this, unfortunately.

Well, no, I wanted Firebird to do the writing. The
apps would do inserts to the table instead of writing
to the file, which is better because (1) the log data
is consolidated and (2) the log data's not on the
user's machine where they can misplace or corrupt it.

Using a regular table for this kind of logging is often
not suitable because the log data can get rolled back;
an external table doesn't have that problem. I was
wondering if anyone else had tried this before.

Michael D. Spence
Mockingbird Data Systems, Inc.