Subject Re: fbserver permission requirements
Author p_b_turner
a bit more investigation....

if i break the application into 2 pieces it works fine using a non-
priv'ed account. that is, Piece A checks for and starts the fbserver
application, then exits (leaving fbserver running). Piece B checks
for fbserver (which is now running) and then issues gbak commands
(which run correctly). it appears that there is some "issue" with
the gbak commands and the fbserver app - only when the account is non-
priv'ed.

remember, the complete application (checking, starting, backing up,
and stopping) works fine when the user is a member of the local
Administrators group.

as this is part of a commercial product, we'd rather not have to have
part of the product needing local Admin rights to run. also, need
fbserver to be an application, not a service.

any thoughts, comments, suggestions....

pbt.

--- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, "p_b_turner"
<PeterTurner@...> wrote:

> working on setting up an unattended backup program on WIndows XP -
just
> about there. in our configuration, we run the fbserver as an
> application as part of the fbguardian/fbserver launch at user
login.
> yes, i realize that we could run this as a service, but can't
because
> of other configurations. my program checks for the presence of the
> fbserver application. if it detects it (meaning that someone is
logged
> in), then it simply runs gbak. if it doesn't detect it, it starts
> fbserver with the -a argument, runs the gbak backups, then stops
the
> fbserver. the program is setup to run as a "specific user"
(username
> and password - yes, password is correct). the whole scenario
(logged
> in, out, etc) works fine if the user is in the Administrators
group,
> but no other group (Users, Power Users, backup operators).
changing