Subject Re: [firebird-support] 1.5.3 on linux amd64
Author William L. Thomson Jr.
On Sat, 2007-02-10 at 10:49 +1100, Helen Borrie wrote:

> Can't comment on your in-house builds since they haven't undergone
> any Firebird QA...

Well on Gentoo we compile everything from source. So it's not really in
house builds. It's anyone running Gentoo Linux would be compiling
Firebird on their machines. If they chose to emerge that package.
We don't ship binaries. We ship ebuilds, which are glorified bash
scripts that wrap a packages build system. Automates running configure,
make, etc.

> but that bug report clearly refers to the AMD64
> build kits that were released along with v.1.5.3 and pulled soon
> after.

Yeah I took it as referring to the build system. Cool so we are on same
page there, and who ever reported the Gentoo bug was clearly taking it
out of context.

> There is no released AMD64 version for v.1.5.x.

Ok, thought I recalled one, but you would surely know, so I will take
your word there. In the past it's been as good as gold ;)

> I haven't heard of any stability issues with running 32-bit Fb 1.5.3
> on AMD64 Linux,

Great, I have not experienced any and I have 2 different amd64 servers
running Firebird in production now. One for over a year.

> other than from people installing the non-NPTL x86
> Superserver builds on OS versions that expect NPTL threading.

Sure the nptl issue would be based on if the person compiled glibc with
nptl or not on Gentoo. But that would be something we will deal with
based on how they built the packages.

Thanks for the confirmation, I will get 1.5.3 stabilized again on
Gentoo. Also see about getting 1.5.4, and 2.0 packaged and in tree.
Likely have to get help there from other Gentoo devs, or leave that up
to the more skilled. Since it seems to require some build system
patching to get it to compile.

--
William L. Thomson Jr.
Gentoo/Java