Subject Re: [firebird-support] SQL help for dataset initialization
Author jft
Steve,
One approach ... I've just finished writing & testing
a similar situation (in FB2.0)!

The master table uses a BEFORE trigger with a generator
to load the primary key field.
A stored procedure, with input parameters for all the fields
of both the master & the detail tables, first does an
'insert ... returning (key field)' into the master table
and then, using that returned key field, does an insert
into the detail table. This stored procedure, which can be
called from either iSQL (via 'execute block') or Delphi
is capable of passing the key field back to its caller.
This means you would be able to display it on the screen
when the procedure was called from Delphi ...

If you were to massage the initial set of input data into
an external or internal table, then as this procedure can
be called from an iSQL 'execute block' construct, you could
write an 'execute block' to read the data row by row,
to insert both tables.

A cut-down example is:
/* */
set term ^;
create trigger TRAN_B10_Ixx for TRAN
ACTIVE BEFORE INSERT
POSITION 10
as
begin
if (inserting) then
if (NEW.TranNo is null) then
NEW.TranNo = Gen_ID(genTRANNO,1);
end^
commit^
set term ;^

-->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
-- the master table is TRAN (keyed on TRANNO), the detail
-- is TRAN_TRADE. For non-related reasons, the insert into
-- the master table was done from another procedure - it could
-- just as easily be done in the main procedure

/* */
set term ^;
recreate procedure SUB_INSERT_TRAN(
TranNo bigint,
.....etc )
returns (TNo bigint)
as
begin
insert into TRAN (
TranNo, ...etc)
values (
:TranNo, ...etc)
returning TranNo into :TNo;
end^
set term ;^
commit;

/* */
set term ^;
recreate procedure INSERT_TRAN_TRADE(
TranNo bigint,
...etc)
returns (TNo bigint)
as
begin
execute procedure SUB_INSERT_TRAN(
:TranNo, ...etc)
returning_values :TNo;

if (TranNo is null) then TranNo = TNo;

insert into TRAN_TRADE (
TranNo, ...etc)
values (
:TranNo, ...etc);
end^
set term ;^
commit;

-->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
-- initial data load via iSQL
set term ^;
execute block
as
declare TranNo bigint;
...etc
declare ClosedPL decimal(18,4);
begin
for
select a.TranNo, a.TranDate
...etc
from LOAD_CONTRACTS a
join ... etc
where ...etc
order by a.TranNo
into
:TranNo,
... etc
:ClosedPL
do
begin
execute procedure INSERT_TRAN_TRADE(
null, /* note null value supplied for TranNo ... */
:TranDate,
...etc)
returning_values :TNo;
end