Subject Re: [firebird-support] firebird on debian SQLCODE = -902 as normal user
Author Helen Borrie
At 09:16 PM 26/11/2007, you wrote:
>Helen Borrie wrote:
> >
>> You haven't mentioned what you are using as your security login to the
>> *database*. Does user ANDI exist in security2.fdb?
>>
>> ./heLen
>
>Hi,
>
>no the user ANDI didn't exist in the security.fdb.
>There is only a security.fdb no security2.fdb, but in debian is firebird
>= 1.0x and firebird2 = 1.5x and firebird2.0 = 2.0
>
>So I've installed:
>mrburns:/var/log# aptitude show firebird2-classic-server
>Paket: firebird2-classic-server
>Zustand: Installiert
>Automatisch installiert: nein
>Version: 1.5.3.4870-12
>
>I added the user ANDI to the security.fdb with the same password than
>SYSDBA, but the problem still occurs.
>(I copied the security.fdb to a local computer where ibexpert is
>installed and added through ibexpert and replaced the old security.fdb
>with the new one.
>
>But I had never to do this.

Next, what *model* of firebird 1.5 have you installed?

>The curious is, that I have no possibility to type the username and
>password. In my other installations I start isql, then CONNECT
>'database.gdb' and then USER 'SYSDBA' PASSWORD 'xxx', but here I can't
>write the USER and the PASSWORD. isql tries immediately to connect:
>andi@mrburns:~$ isql-fb
>Use CONNECT or CREATE DATABASE to specify a database
>SQL> CONNECT 'database.gdb';
>Statement failed, SQLCODE = -902
>
>operating system directive open failed
>-Permission denied

This error suggests one of two things:

a) You are running Superserver not Classic. With SS you cannot connect directly to a database file as you can with Classic and the libfbembed.so client.

or
b) The firebird group doesn't have execute permissions on the directory where the database file is located.

Assuming the following:

1. You installed the Superserver model of Firebird
2. You have renamed isql to isql-fb
3. You are in $firebirdroot$/bin directory

~~~$ .isql-fb [return]
Use CONNECT or CREATE DATABASE to specify a database
SQL> CONNECT 'localhost:\path\to\database.gdb'
CON> USER 'ANDI' PASSWORD 'xxxxxxxxxxx';
SQL>

Or, you can connect directly from the command-line:
~~~$ .isql-fb 'localhost:\path\to\database.gdb' -user ANDI -pass xxxxxxxxxxx [return]
SQL>

I also set the ISC_USER and ISC_PASSWORD as environment variable, but
the problem is still there.

That won't help if you're attempting the wrong way to connect or if the required group permissions are missing...

./heLen