Subject Re: Repeat Until construct?
Author randallsell
--- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, Helen Borrie <helebor@...> wrote:

> At 03:22 AM 20/11/2007, you wrote:
> >I don't see a way in PSQL to have a looping construct that checks the
> >conditon after the code executes vs a WHILE loop. Does such a thing
> >exist that I've missed?
>
> Yes - "repeat until" *is* a WHILE loop. Declare a local variable,
e.g. a counter, or a number or string that gets updated inside the
loop if it's data values that you want to predicate on. Initialise
the variable before starting the WHILE and make the variable's value
(or NOT value) the condition of the WHILE. Then you have "repeat
until". :-)

> ./heLen

Well, saying that a while loop and a reap/until loop are identical is
like saying a Domain char(1) is a boolean. They are not the same. A
while loop tests the condition before execution, whereas a repeat
until tests it afterwards and it always guarantees one execution which
is exactly what I need. But I can code around easy enough for now.

Is there a particular website/url where I can put in my wish-list
things for FireBird 3? Top of my list is a real boolean type, and a
beefed up PSQL language. What FB does now reminds me a lot of my
fortran programming days.

cheers
-randall