Subject Re: [firebird-support] Re: Repeat Until construct?
Author Helen Borrie
At 03:56 PM 20/11/2007, you wrote:
>--- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, Helen Borrie <helebor@...> wrote:
>>
>> At 03:22 AM 20/11/2007, you wrote:
>> >I don't see a way in PSQL to have a looping construct that checks the
>> >conditon after the code executes vs a WHILE loop. Does such a thing
>> >exist that I've missed?
>>
>> Yes - "repeat until" *is* a WHILE loop. Declare a local variable,
>e.g. a counter, or a number or string that gets updated inside the
>loop if it's data values that you want to predicate on. Initialise
>the variable before starting the WHILE and make the variable's value
>(or NOT value) the condition of the WHILE. Then you have "repeat
>until". :-)
>>
>> ./heLen
>>

>Well, saying that a while loop and a reap/until loop are identical

I didn't. I said a REPEAT UNTIL loop is a WHILE loop. You'll see definitions like yours in manuals for languages that support REPEAT UNTIL. But, logically, if the last iteration of the WHILE loop sets (or reaches) the terminal condition then there won't be another iteration.

> is
>like saying a Domain char(1) is a boolean. They are not the same.

Oh, thanks for that little gem. ;-)

>while loop tests the condition before execution, whereas a repeat
>until tests it afterwards and it always guarantees one execution which
>is exactly what I need. But I can code around easy enough for now.
>
>Is there a particular website/url where I can put in my wish-list
>things for FireBird 3? Top of my list is a real boolean type, and a
>beefed up PSQL language. What FB does now reminds me a lot of my
>fortran programming days.

Yes, go to the Firebird website and read about the Tracker. Then click the picture to get you there. Don't waste your time posting a feature request for a "beefed up PSQL language". That's like asking your boss for more money and longer holidays. Be explicit; and don't duplicate feature requests that are already there.

./hb