Subject Re: Last gentoo ebuild: start not really normal and can't find changeDBAPassword.sh
Author skoczian
--- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, Matthias Hanft <mh@...>
wrote:

> skoczian wrote:
> > This ebuild, dev-db/firebird-2.0.3.12981.0-r2 was installed
> > yesterday. It changed the installation directory: instead of
> > everything in /opt/firebird, the binaries are in /usr/bin, core,
> > udfs etc. in /usr/share/firebird. Why this?
>
> Because these are the directories where all other software is
> located, too. I have installed _many_ software packages on
> my Gentoo, and Firebird was _the_only_one_ of them which was
> put into the /opt directory tree. Now it's empty again :-)

True (what about OpenOffice, though?). But I still find some files
in /opt/firebird: isc_event1.Elend, isc_guard1.Elend,
isc_init1.Elend, isc_lock1.Elend. Only the last one has a size of
more than 0 bytes and the date of the update.

And I'm beginning to think that there may be something wrong with
the installation: isql complains about a
missing "/usr/firebird.msg", quite rightly,
it's "/usr/share/firebird.msg". Will look at the Environment
variables. I suppose that's more a theme for the gentoo forum? And
the missing changeDBAPassword.sh is certainly wrong.

> > - I want to start and stop firebird (SuperServer) manually, it
> > doesn't have to run all the time. In the Firebird book I find
the
> > command
> > ./fbmgr.bin -start -forever
>
> The "normal" way to start and stop FB (as any other program
> with Gentoo) is IMHO "/etc/init.d/firebird {start|stop}".
> (Of course, this also calls "fbmgr.bin", but you do not have
> to care about directories and parameters and all that.)

So I thought (and so I did it using Ubuntu, before I bought the
Firebird book).

> The /etc/bin directory doesn't even exist on my system.

Nor on mine, that was a typo (I meant /etc/init.d).

Thank you,
Koczian