Subject Re: [firebird-support] Do I need the Guardian for SuperServer?
Author James N Hitz
Stefan Heymann wrote:
> Helen,
>
> thanks for your answer.
>

>> If you're running Firebird SS as a service,
>>

> yes, that's what my question was/is about, effectively.
>

>> it's up to you whether you use Guardian or configure the service to
>> restart (Recovery tab in the service's property sheet). [...]
>>

>>> and what is it good for anyway?
>>>

>> Restarting Firebird if it gets stopped abnormally for some reason.
>>

> So that means: not using the Guardian and setting the service
> properties to restart the Firebird service whenever it stops results
> in the same thing?

It is possible to configure a service to restart itself in Windows 2K +
in which case the Guardian would be redundant. I am not very sure about
the other OS's.

You must remember that FB is cross-platform and it is important for it
to sustain itself without overly depending on the OS. Plus the Guardian
is such a small program with a very tiny footprint.

Regards.