Subject Re: [firebird-support] Do I need the Guardian for SuperServer?
Author Helen Borrie
At 11:39 PM 2/11/2007, you wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>the subject says it all: Do I need the Guardian for SuperServer at all

If you're running Firebird SS as a service, it's up to you whether you use Guardian or configure the service to restart (Recovery tab in the service's property sheet). If you're running it as an application then you'll need the Guardian if you want the application to be restarted in the event of its crashing.

>and what is it good for anyway?

Restarting Firebird if it gets stopped abnormally for some reason.

>The Windows installer wants to install
>the Guardian by default (even when I install SuperServer), but I
>remember I read somewhere that you don't really need the Guardian for
>SuperServer.

Well, that's probably why it's installed by default. :-) (Not everyone is really sure what it's good for...)

./heLen