Subject Re: Problem when starting the FB service on Win2003
Author Adam
--- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, Alexandre Benson Smith
<iblist@...> wrote:

> Hi Adam !
>

> Adam wrote:
> > This problem is not one I have every faced, but I agree it looks like
> > a policy problem. Is there a 'feature' to limit the number of
> > connection attempts per second?
> >

> I haven't a clue about such policies limit
>
> I don't know what is going on, but sometimes after a reboot FB is
unable
> to start (with the mentioned entries on the log) then I reboot the
> machine and voila, it works again.
>
> I think the windows instalation has some trouble or some kind of
> corruption, and that's de cause for the frequent server reboots.
>
> Or maybe a hardware problem (faulty memory for example) and that the
> frequent reboots corrupted some windows file.
>
> I really don't know, but I don't trust on that machine/OS.
>
> > What user is the service installed as, and what sort of rights does it
> > have? If it is not an admin type user, I wonder if there is now some
> > sort of socket behaviour in a policy for non administrators.
> >

> Default instalation FB 1.5.2
>
> Service uses "Local System Account" and the option "Allow Service to
> Interact with Desktop" is checked

LOCAL SYSTEM >= Administrator, so if it is a policy behaviour then it
will be a global setting.

I wonder if this msdn blog may be useful information:

http://blogs.msdn.com/wndp/archive/2005/08/03/Anthony_Jones.aspx

Could another application/malware be attempting to bind the same port?
Maybe try Firebird on another port?

Adam