Subject Re: Another "connection forcibly closed by the remote host" problem
Author Scott Moon
--- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, "Dimitry Sibiryakov" <SD@...>
wrote:

> If I were you, I would seriously consider reverting back to
> Win2k...
>
> --
> SY, Dimitry Sibiryakov.

A couple of questions/comments:

Do you recommend 2000 just because of the way 2003 handles TCP/IP
connections, or are there other issues as well? We are in the midst of
an enterprise-wide migration to Active Directory. (I know - look out
below!) I might get stuck with 2003, but if I can make a compelling
argument for Win2K on our Firebird servers, I might get to be the
exception.

BTW - I kept a connection open for over 13 hours overnight, so the
DummyPacketInterval set at 300 seconds is working. Is there an upper
limit to how long the interval can be set? Since we were consistently
seeing the timeouts at 60 minutes, I would like to lengthen the
interval to 15 - 30 minutes to reduce network traffic as much as
possible. At any given time we have about 50 active connections to
Firebird DBs that may or may not be sitting idle.

The DummyPacketInterval setting was the first thing we looked into a
month ago, but when I saw the big glaring warnings in the .conf file
and the release notes I shrugged it off. Maybe the main documentation
needs to be updated to reflect that the bug is fixed. When I saw the
warning in both files, it didn't occur to me to look for it in the
bugs fixed list.

Thanks again for the solution/workaround.
Scott