Subject Re: How can I enter a BLOB SUB_TYPE TEXT of more than 32K
Author Adam
--- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, "Jean-Louis Dehoux"
<jeanlouisdehoux@...> wrote:

> > You may need to use a paramatised query to do that. 32K is the
longest
> > varchar that can be defined, so my guess is that there is some
internal
> > casting to handle it. How you do this depends on what language and
> > components you are connecting with.
> >
> > The maximum size of a query is 64K, so even if you were to overcome
> > whatever the 32K problem is, there is another brick wall just around
> > the corner, so paramatised is the way to go.
> >
> > Does the server actually crash (panic, shutdown and restart), or
is it
> > just the that query fails ?
>
> I am using Firebird 2.0.0.12654 and FlameRobin 0.7.2

Firebird 2 is 'beta' at this stage.

1. Can you please produce a simple script to create a table, commit,
then insert such a record so that the server crashes.

starting p1 for bug reporting procedures)

3. Firebird 1.5.3 is the latest stable build. Could you find time to
run your test case against this engine, and if applicable report the
bug in the bug tracker.

> The server silently crashes. If using, the Guardian, the server
> restarts but the database is diconnected.
> This the error received after executing the INSERT with the offending
> BLOB.
>
> *** IBPP::SQLException ***
> Context: Statement::Close(DSQL_drop)
> Message: isc_dsql_free_statement failed.
>
> SQL Message : -902
> Unsuccessful execution caused by a system error that precludes
> successful execution of subsequent statements
>
> Engine Code : 335544721
> Engine Message :
> Unable to complete network request to host "localhost".
> Error reading data from the connection.
>
> Anywhere I could find more info on how to do this correctly?

Well your statement should fail because of the implementation limit as
discussed in Helen's post, but the database engine should definately
not crash.

Possibly check with the FlameRobin project if there is a way to insert
longer strings through FR.

Adam