Subject Re: [firebird-support] Re: Another "connection forcibly closed by the remote host" problem
Author Lester Caine
Scott Moon wrote:

> I suspect I've been hammering too hard for too long on this, and I may
> be overlooking an elephant in the room, so to speak. We are at the
> point now that we are considering swapping the servers back to the
> original config, and rebuilding the new server as a Win 2000 server
> instead of 2003. If I don't learn anything new tonight I will test
> that particular configuration on a test server tomorrow. That test
> will only be partially accurate, as the test machine is not using a
> virtual machine setup - just a straight 2000 server.
>
> I am open to pretty much any suggestions at this point!

We are currently seeing a number of niggling problems on W2003 sites,
one of which was running W2k without problems for years. The bottom line
seems to be SOMETHING on the network side of W2003 which does not play
fair so your tests putting things back to W2k will probably remove your
problem.

I think the main problem is the new 'security' measures W2003 has put in
place - they also seem to close things down that they do not like, and
an old 'fix' for W98SE machines seems to help ;) Just keep checking
things to keep a connection awake. We put that in because the Frame
Relay network could be relied on to loose connections when other
connections were busy and enabling it again seems to help. It does not
reconnect like Frame Relay used to, but it does maintain the connection!

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL