Subject Re: Firebird Restarting part 2
Author Michael Vilhelmsen
--- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, Vlad Horsun <hvlad@...> wrote:

> ""Michael Vilhelmsen"" ...
> > > Well, for whatever reason you're flat out of memory. Here's
where that
> > > error is generated in cch.cpp, CCH_init.
> > >
> > > /* Log if requested number of page buffers could not be
allocated. */

> > > if (count != (SLONG) bcb_->bcb_count)
> > > gds__log
> > > ("Database: %s\n\tAllocated %ld page buffers of %ld requested",
> > > tdbb->tdbb_attachment->att_filename->str_data,
bcb_->bcb_count,
> > > count);
> > >
> > > The call above to memory_init calls gds_alloc which calls
malloc and
> > > the malloc failed to get the whole page cache. The question is why.
> > >
> > > Your system has lots of memory - 2Gb and you'r asking for about
8 Mb.
> > > What else is running on that system?
> > >

> > My brother (who keeps the serves up to date) has produced some
> > pictures of whatever the server is doing.
> >
> > They can be found here:
> >
> > http://download.microcom.dk/firebird/fb1.jpg
> > http://download.microcom.dk/firebird/fb2.jpg
> > http://download.microcom.dk/firebird/fb3.jpg
> > http://download.microcom.dk/firebird/fb4.jpg
> > http://download.microcom.dk/firebird/fb5.jpg
> >

> > The last 2 pictures shows, that the usage of the pagefile is some
55-60%.

> Look at last picture - fbserver have Virtual SIze = 1.9 GB but
used only
> 0.58 GB physical memory (working set). I.e. requests to allocate
more virtual
> memory will fail (1.9GB very close to limit of 2GB per process)
despite of free
> memory available.
>
> > This server is dedicated to run firebird and nothing else.
>
> How many databases active at this moment ?

2 active databases.
1 is very small.
Contains 1 table with 38 records inside.
During a day, this DB has some 200 reads and 50 writes.
No insert or deletes.

Second DB - Its around 8Gb in size.
It has between 50 and 150 users connected.
I think I earlier on said some 200+, but as I have been monitoring the
last days its "only" 50 to 150 users.

Does some of them have
> fixed cache setting ?

I don't know what this is.

> > At this time we suspect that the users actually are doing some rather
> > heavy reports.
>
> Does you use some custom UDF (with memory leakage) ?

None.

Thx

Michael