Subject Re: Firebird restarting
Author Michael Vilhelmsen
--- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, Helen Borrie <helebor@...> wrote:

> [...]
Core CPU
I get

> It means the Firebird server has exhausted all of the memory it can
> use. Because fbserver.exe is a 32-bit application, it can address
> only a maximum of 2 Gb of RAM, regardless of how much is available on
> the system.

> Solve it by changing over to Classic.

This I can't do just now - I have some code I need to rewrite.
I sometimes do a list of the connected users, and in the CS model it
only returns me ...

> >We used the server internally for almost 2 months without experiencing
> >any problems.
> >We was not able to simulate 100+ users - But we ran some rather haedy
> >querys. No problem there.
> >
> >I have a theory that is has to do with to 2 Gb limit.
>
> Exactly.

Great to have a confimation.

> >The OS can adress a lot more, but AFAIK Fb can't - So far.
>
> No, because Superserver runs as a process that spawns threads for
> connections. Theoretically you can connect about 700 users but, in
> your usage case it's clearly a lot less. Your configuration might be
> using too much RAM for caching. What are the page size and buffers?

Page size is 4096.
Everything else is standard (as it is in the conf. after installing).

> >We are waiting to see the FB 2.0 64 bits on Windows to Intel .... I
> >think that will solve the problem.
>
> It should. But reducing the cache size might help in the short
> term.

Reducing the cache size - Its en entry in the conf. file, right ?

Moving to Classic is the best solution, though, since it will
> handle your 100 (or more) connections and make use of your extra RAM
> and the dual processors.
>

> >I was woundering - Is there a way to limit FB to use i.e. no more than
> >1.8 Gb of RAM ?
>
> No. But why would you want to do that, when your problem is
> happening because 2 Gb is not enough?

Hm - to have FB not requesting more memory when it can have anymore.
Then use whatever temp files it can.
If it makes it stable until FB2 64 is released - Well that might help us.
Anyway - this was a short posibillity me and my colleque talked about.
Maybe not the best - but anyway.

Thx

Michael