Subject Re: [firebird-support] Re: Firebird restarting
Author Helen Borrie
At 07:51 PM 18/12/2006, Michael Vilhelmsen wrote:
> > > Some 50 days ago we moved a client from one server to another.
> > > The old server was a Win2000 with 2Gb of RAM, Single Core CPU.
> > > Firebird is 1.5.0.
> > > The Db is some 8 Gb.
> > > On this old server it has been running for 3 years wihtou any problems
> > > with some 100+ connections.
> > >
> > > Now on the new server it a Win2003 64Bit, 4 Gb of RAM, Dual Core CPU
> > > and FB 1.5.0.
> > > The first 3 or 4 weeks i ran smoothly. But the last few weeks I get
> > > the following in the FB log file.
> > >
> > > DBSRV04 (Server) Sat Dec 16 17:17:13 2006
> > > Database: E:\DB\KAUFMANN\OCCLICENS.FDB
> > > internal gds software consistency check (cannot start thread)
> > >
> > > (A LOT of these. Happens when a user wants to connect).

It means the Firebird server has exhausted all of the memory it can
use. Because fbserver.exe is a 32-bit application, it can address
only a maximum of 2 Gb of RAM, regardless of how much is available on
the system.

> > > Does anyone have anything that could solve or narrow down my problem ?

Solve it by changing over to Classic.

>We used the server internally for almost 2 months without experiencing
>any problems.
>We was not able to simulate 100+ users - But we ran some rather haedy
>querys. No problem there.
>
>I have a theory that is has to do with to 2 Gb limit.

Exactly.

>The OS can adress a lot more, but AFAIK Fb can't - So far.

No, because Superserver runs as a process that spawns threads for
connections. Theoretically you can connect about 700 users but, in
your usage case it's clearly a lot less. Your configuration might be
using too much RAM for caching. What are the page size and buffers?

>We are waiting to see the FB 2.0 64 bits on Windows to Intel .... I
>think that will solve the problem.

It should. But reducing the cache size might help in the short
term. Moving to Classic is the best solution, though, since it will
handle your 100 (or more) connections and make use of your extra RAM
and the dual processors.

>I was woundering - Is there a way to limit FB to use i.e. no more than
>1.8 Gb of RAM ?

No. But why would you want to do that, when your problem is
happening because 2 Gb is not enough?

./heLen