Subject Re: [firebird-support] Re: Corruption in Firebird Classic 1.5.3.4870
Author jason palmer
I just know that we had corrupt backups twice, at different sites, so we altered our application to
check that all users were out before allowing a backup and then once the backup is complete it runs
a gfix -v on the .gdb and reports if anything is found.

Come to think of it, I think we had these issues on interbase 5.x before switching to firebird so
perhaps it is just a legacy of those times.

This way we get a secure, old fashioned, backup and check the .gdb every day ( as most users
backup everyday ). Considering the amount of work users would lose when compared to
how long it takes to perform a backup, I think it worthwhile.

----- Original Message ----
From: Ann W. Harrison <aharrison@...>
To: firebird-support@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, 4 December, 2006 6:07:52 PM
Subject: Re: [firebird-support] Re: Corruption in Firebird Classic 1.5.3.4870

jason palmer wrote:
> We found problems with those backups so we make em logout to backup ...

Telling someone about problems with backup is a good thing.
Many many users rely on gbak and if it has problems (other
than the well understood problem that it doesn't validate
data while backing it up) we would like to know about them.

In particular, if there is a problem running gbak on-line
that doesn't occur when running gbak standalone, I would
like to know about it.

Regards,

Ann