Subject Re: [firebird-support] Re: Failing to create Firebird DB file
Author Yuliya Shulman
Yes, I think we've finally managed to confuse
everyone, so I'll summarize.

The way our application installs is the customer runs
the .msi (Windows Installer) we supply. The file
installs all sorts of files into a specified folder.
One of those files is our executable, which, upon
starting, invoke a Firebird call to create .OBU file
in the same folder, if it's not already there (as it
can be if the executable is restarted after a reboot,
for instance.)

That's where the customer encountered a problem. All
other files were copied into the installation folder
without a problem. The executable started, encountered
a problem creating the .OBU file, and exited, as it
was supposed to in this case.

This was the problem reported:

SQL Message : -902
Unsuccessful execution caused by a system error that
precludes successful execution of subsequent
statements

Engine Code : 335544373
Engine Message :
operating system directive CreateFile failed
, file: AgentDB.cpp, line: 384

AgentDB.cpp is our file; at line 384 we report
IBPP::SQLException. We don't do much there, just try
to run CreateDB.sql script that creates the OBU file.
So it looks to me it's the Firebird engine that fails
to create the file.

The customer re-run install using SysInternals
"Process Monitor" and found out the failure was due to
inability to access a bogus temporary directory under
"C:\WINNT\system32\YSTE~1\TEMP". He created
"YSTE~1\TEMP" subdirectory under C:\WINNT\system32 and
the installation succeeded.

However, he doesn't consider the problem solved and
wants to know why "it" tried to access the directory
that wasn't there.

It's got to be something very specific to this
particular computer since our software is installed
probably on thousands and no one complained. Not about
this anyway. ;) So that's why I was asking what
environmental variables Firebird uses since I thought
something was erroneously set to "YSTE~1\TEMP". The
value of TEMP variable was brought up by somebody
else. However, I looked through the results of SET
command the customer provided and nothing is set to
it.

Any ideas? I don't care what to tell the customer
since he already installed the software, but I do need
to report successful resolution to my manager. :D

Thanks,
Yuliya