Subject Re: Firebird 2.0 Indexing
Author Svein Erling Tysvær
Is the database that you're converting from a desktop database (like
Access or Paradox)? They work nicely on tables, as opposed to datasets
which Firebird and other client/server databases prefer. Firebird
requires a different mindset than desktop databases, and until it
clicks, you'll be fighting Firebird rather than enjoying it. I even
enjoy the "indexing system" of Firebird as it is today!

For anything but data transfer, I cannot understand why anyone would
want to run a statement without a where clause on a million-row table
(well, possibly if there were some kind of grouping reducing the
returned set to a few rows). Myself, I work with medium sized tables,
up to about 10 million rows. Occasionally, I request 10000 rows, but
that is only when someone will actually go through and examine every
one of those rows. Without exception, I only request larger result
sets for people who want to do further processing themselves in other
database or statistical systems.

Besides, three and a half minutes to return rows that people will use
months to examine isn't too long in my honest opinion. With 2.1
million rows, that means 9900 rows per second! And I doubt the
developers will be tempted to remove the multigenerational
architecture to make it easier for people not wanting to adopt to a
client/server mindset.

Sorry if the above sounds a bit harsh,
Set