Subject Re: Relative paths with multifile database
Author cedric_maucourt
--- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, Helen Borrie <helebor@t...>
wrote:

> At 10:15 AM 29/11/2005 +0000, you wrote:
> >Hello,
> >
> >I'm working on a big database file (near as 3GB) and I was looking for
> >a way to split this file in order to be able to burn it on a DVD (ISO
> >standard max filesize is 2GB). I saw that it was possible to have a
> >multifile database. So I made a backup of my database then I restored
> >it to 3 files. However, when I try to move all the files to another
> >directory, I can no longer connect to the database because the server
> >tries to access to the second and the third files in the directory
> >they were created in.
> >Is there a way to tell the database to search for the next parts in
> >the same directory that the first part?
>
> Yes. Restore them using hard file paths. Don't try to use relative
paths,
> since the syntax for relative paths is filesystem-dependent. The
engine
> stores the absolute locations in the database header. In any case, you
> don't want database files in the system32 directory, you want them
in an
> explicit user directory whose access permissions you can control.
So why
> not just restore to the correct locations, instead of this (apparently
> crazy) two-step approach?
>
> That said, Ivan Prenosil has a handy tool called GLink, that you can
use to
> modify the paths that are stored in the header for multi-file
databases,
> when you move the files. Download it here:
> http://www.volny.cz/iprenosil/interbase/
>
> ./hb

Yes it seems to be a crazy approach but actually the problem is I have
to store and access the database on a DVD. I can't use hard file paths
since the letter of the DVD device can change from a computer to
another. So I'd like to tell the engine to search the other parts of
the database in the first part directory.
I'm gonna check this tool, GLink, see if I can use it to solve my
problem. Thanks.

Cédric Maucourt