Subject Re: Remote Database files
Author salisburyproject
--- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, "Adam" <s3057043@y...> wrote:

> --- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, "salisburyproject"
> <kiril@o...> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am not very experienced with Firebird and I will apreciate any
> help
> > with the following issue:
> >
> > I need to build a configuration where the Firebird service runs
on
> > HOST1 and the database files are on HOST2.
> > A mapped drive exists on HOST1 with full access to the path on
> HOST2,
> > where the DB files are.
>
> Very bad idea on so many levels.
>
> You will achieve a reasonably high chance of database corruption,
and
> lose data security to boot.
>
> Why do you want them on different hosts? If you want it on host2
for
> backup reasons, then this would also fail because OS level file
copy
> is not able to do a hot backup. Explain what you hope to achieve
and
> we will point you in the right direction.
>
> Adam

Well, I know it is not a good idea, but this is what I was asked to
do.
HOST2 is a SAN storage, accessed via mapped drive. No way to install
FB on it.
And the customer doesn't want to deal with DB on the application
server.
I have read some articles on the web and pointed this is not a good
solution, but is what they want...

BTW: I also edited this line:
RemoteFileOpenAbility = 1,
but it didn't help...