Subject Firebird Scalability guide (was Which Linux package for Firebird?)
Author David Johnson
On Sun, 2005-01-30 at 19:57, Alan McDonald wrote:

> PS. 70 concurrrent users - even against a Linux FB is getting up
there.. if
> the 70 users are heavy in nature, you may still require some pooling.
If
> they are not all simultaneous and or not heavy constant users, then 70
is
> fine.

Is there a good scaling guide for Firebird?

Santa didn't give me Helen's book for christmas :o( and I have to
toe the line on expenses for a few weeks, so if the answer is "read
Helen's book" I will just have to grit my teeth for a bit.

70 concurrent users is an awfully small user base. My work is generally
aimed at upwards of 1,000 concurrent users, so I need to be able to
define a sufficient hardware base for the usage. At the same time, the
"typical" Firebird product seems aimed at under 100 concurrent users,
and at home I am using Firebird behind single-user desktop apps.

I can do the math for connection pools once I have a good baseline - I'm
just too busy now to write a good set of scalability tests myself.

Some platforms I would like to see scalability specs on are:

intel desktops (Windows)
1 CPU intel servers (Windows)
1 CPU intel servers (Windows) with hyperthreading
2 CPU intel servers (Windows)
2 CPU intel servers (Windows) with hyperthreading
1 CPU intel servers (linux)
1 CPU intel servers (linux) with hyperthreading
2 CPU intel servers (linux)
2 CPU intel servers (linux) with hyperthreading
(Ditto for key 32 and 64 bit AMD/Opteron configurations)

Sun server configurations
RS/6000 (or whatever it is called this week) configurations

Storage configurations:
IDE
SCSI
RAID