Subject Re: [firebird-support] Re: not valid file formats
Author Helen Borrie
At 12:49 AM 25/01/2005 +0000, you wrote:

>--- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, Helen Borrie <helebor@t...>
>wrote:
>
> > No; but your Linux distro might be too old; or the machine
>architecture
> > might be incompatible with packages built for i686. What clues can you
> > offer here?
>
>The server is SuSE Linux v. 9.2 - the latest and greatest and I have
>automatic updates. Every other tar.gz file I've used has worked, and
>I've never had problems with RPM.

If it's machine architecture that's the problem, then an i686 rpm kit won't
install on your system. Maybe your particular version of gzip is fussy
about it, too.

You could try to fool gzip by first renaming the tarball without the "i686"
string in it.

Since also, for a long time, gunzip has been fooled about with and (in some
distros) deprecated, you could try instead to use tar to decompress it.
Assuming you rename it first, and put it where you want it to be --

tar -xvzf FirebirdSS-1.5.2.4731-0.tar.gz

Of course, the tarball doesn't give you a running Firebird. Check the
Linux installation notes in the (main, big) release notes for advice about
running the scripts.

Can't offer any suggestions except to download them again. Both kits
installed fine here on Mdk 9.1 and RH 8, respectively, on i586 and i686
machines, respectively.

I don't know anything worth squit about file signatures, but maybe your
firewall does something nasty to downloads that are unsigned and you need
to switch it off for these files....

./hb