Subject Re: [firebird-support] Re: unavailable database
Author Helen Borrie
At 03:38 AM 22/01/2005 +0000, you wrote:

> > >BTW, what do you mean by "path-only". Can you give me an example?
> > >I'm using FB locally.
> >
> > Trying to connect without including the server in the connect
> > string. Classic will not accept connections via the IPServer local
> > protocol, you must use the localhost (TCP/IP local loopback) server.
> >
>I've uninstalled Firebird and completely deleted the Firebird folder.
> I then re-installed Firebird, stopped the service, and restored the
>conf files and the security.fdb from backup. I then restarted the
>service and still get the error. When I try to open a database in
>IBExpert or any of my programs, I get an error "Unsuccessful execution
>caused by an unavailable resource. unavailable database."
>
>Note that this is a system where Firebird has been working flawlessly
>for more than a year. The only thing I did to cause this was to
>uninstall Firebird and try to install a newer version. Now, I can't
>even get the original version to work.

I'm trying to work out how you could have had Firebird Classic "working
flawlessly for more than a year" on Windows.

Are you *sure* you had Classic before?

>What should I look for?

An IB server already running, and listening on port 3050?

Client can't get a connection because the database name extension is gdb?

Server can't find its root directory? (Check whether the REgistry entry
points to the correct Firebird root).

Wrong, old gds32.dll sitting somewhere in the system path and getting found
before firebird's client?

Needle-in-haystack territory here. I've got got both Classic and
Superserver installed on three different machines, no problem connecting to
any of them as long as I use the appropriate connection string and I make
sure I don't have waifs and strays left around from old installations.

Connection string if IBExpert and server are on the same machine should be
e.g.

localhost:c:\Program Files\Firebird\Firebird_1_5\examples\employee.fdb

Won't work otherwise.

./hb