Subject Re: [firebird-support] Config issue?
Author Helen Borrie
At 05:13 PM 11/01/2005 +0000, you wrote:

>Hi, I have been developing a gaming app using Firebird SS 1.5 on linux
>for a year or so now and it works great 99.99% of the time, but it's
>that .01 that bugging me.
>
>For no apparent reason I get:
>
>"unable to complete network request to host "localhost"
>
>after 100's or 1000's of transactions and then the next transaction
>works just fine. Do I need to configure more connections, or what?

Since it's fine 99.99% of the time, it's a fair guess that the .01% is a
resource problem of some kind. By "configure more connections" are you
implying that you are pooling some number of connections? Check the
firebird.log after one of these crashes and find out whether it's a client
or the server crashing. That might help to steer you towards some kind of
inherent race condition in the assignment of connections from the pool vs
just simply blowing the machine resources occasionally. If you increase the
number of connections you're holding the pool, to cope with the occasional
overload, you might be looking at plugging in another stick of RAM to solve
the problem.

>I'm using the C programing API with a C++ wrapper around it. It seems
>very reliable except for this occasional error.
>
>Point two. I was reading through some FB docs on a sight I can't
>recall and I ran across something similar to this statement.
>
>"If you declare your connection in the plain form '/dbdir/file.fdb'
>then your connection is NOT thread safe. You should always use the
>remote form 'dbserver:/dbdir/file.fdb' to insure a thread safe
>connection, even on a local connection."
>
>I've never seen nor heard anything like this before. Is this true?

Yes; but it doesn't apply to SS, since SS can't make a local connection
except through the TCP/IP local loopback server. That admonition applies
to Classic using the libfbembed.so client, which SS can't use anyway.

./heLen