Subject Re: [firebird-support] srand question
Author Frank Schlottmann-Goedde
Robby wrote:
> I stuck FB 2.0's srand UDF functionality into FB 1.5.1 and was

srand is just the same as the old rand function, it uses the actual time
to seed the (new) rand function.

> wondering how often I have to use it to seed the random number
> generator. i.e. does a single seed called anywhere last on the
> entire server as long as it's running, is it a per-connection thing,
> or should I reseed in every procedure/trigger that uses rand()?

I have no idea, I just needed it to create random data inside a procedure.

> (I guess reseeding could never hurt, as I'd get a new psuedo-random
> sequence out of rand() whenver I do it....)
Every other minute I guess :-)

Frank
--
Fascinating creatures, phoenixes, they can carry immensely heavy loads,
their tears have healing powers and they make highly faithful pets.