Subject Re: installing firebird on windows networks
Author petesouthwest
Further to this:

If Firebird is being installed directly to the server, will the drive
letter selected as the destination appear the same letter to the
network? ie if the client machines see a drive 'T' that is a harddisk
on server 3, when Firebird installs to server 3, will it be installed
to T:\program files\firebird etc or will it be c:\....?

Thanks
Pete

--- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, "petesouthwest"
<petesouthwest@h...> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm trying to get clear in my mind how I can get my app to connect
to its database, with the minimal hassle to the person installing it.

> On that basis I have been trying to work out how to convert a UNC
path into the hostName:drive: protocol needed. However, It has
occurred to me that as the firebird installation interrogates and
makes changes to the server (registry presumably), so it runs
automatically as either a service or an application, surely the set-
up exe needs to execute on the server rather than on a pc connected
to the server?