Subject Re: [firebird-support] Broken pipe error (Kylix 3 + FB 1.5)
Author Helen Borrie
At 08:21 PM 5/07/2004 +0300, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I updated IB6.0 into Firebird 1.5 and my Kylix 3 client began to crash.
>Both client and server are running on Suse9.1 (Mandrake 8.1 has been
>tested too)
>
>As simplest it goes as follows:
>
>- create a table with a few numeric(n,m) or float fields
>
>- make Kylix-application with ClientDataset connected to the test table
>using TSQLConnection, TSQLQuery, TDatasetProvider, TClientdataset,
>TDatasource and TDBGrid
>
>- run application, insert some value in numerid fields
>
>- after ApplyUpdates program crashes, giving error message
>'Unable to complete network request etc... Broken pipe'
>
>It definitely has something to do with the numeric fields: updating
>tables with no floats/numerics work ok.
>
>I use dbExpress with default settings (LibraryName=libsqlib.so and
>VendorLib=libgds.so), can this cause the problem?

Yes. libgds.so is the client that is left over from your InterBase
installation. Change to VendorLib=libfbclient.so and remove the symlink to
libgds.so.

>If so, what .so's should I use?

Use the 'find' utility to make sure that a symbolic link to libfbclient.so
is located in the same place where the driver file is currently looking for
the libgds.so symlink.

Also put a trace on your application to make sure that it is loading the
right client library.

You're working locally at the moment; but any Kylix clients you deploy
must have the correct client library, too.

>Same application under Delphi7 works.

Linux is Linux and Windows is Windows. The Win32 installer optionally
creates a copy of the Windows client (fbclient.dll), renames it to
gds32.dll and places it in the system directory. If you took this option
during installation, it would be transparent to your Delphi application.

Another problem you might have with SuSE 9.1 (but not Mdk 8.1), if you try
to use multiple threads, is an incompatibility with the new NPTL
threading. To fix it to use the old threading model, refer to the release
notes. Alternatively, you can move over to the Firebird 1.5.1 NPTL builds.

/heLen