Subject Re[2]: [firebird-support] power outages
Author Critchley, Amy
Andy,

I did find a description of the recovery features (including mention of the tank) of Interbase 4.0 here

http://www.sphere-data.com/docs/ib_vs_ss.shtml (find section 7.3.1.2)

along with a lot of other useful information about Interbase. I think it sounds good enough to try! :)

Thanks,
Amy

-----Original Message-----
From: Andy Goodchild [mailto:goodieauk@...]
Sent: Wednesday, March 31, 2004 9:25 AM
To: Critchley, Amy
Subject: Re[2]: [firebird-support] power outages

Hello Amy,

CA> ..... but I am more concerned about the automated recovery process after a possible database
CA> corruption, especially because the instrument could be powered on / off several times a day without a proper software shutdown.
I am sure I read somewhere ( cann't find the link at present). That an
older version of Interbase was selected by the USA army for use in
some of its tanks and the main reason for it choice was its
performance in recovering from abnormal shutdowns. Apparently when a
tank fired a shell it would cause the onboard computer to reboot.
True no database is going to be 100% safe from Database corruption but
the inherent nature of FB / IB means that recovery is better than for
most other DBMS.
Additionally you can also use the gbak and gfix utilities in batch
files so if needed you could create a batch file to run on start up to
verify the database etc.

--
Best regards,
Andy mailto:goodieauk@...