Subject Re: [firebird-support] Re: TCP/IP Necessary?
Author Helen Borrie
At 02:34 PM 31/03/2004 +0000, you wrote:
>So are you saying I *do* need the TCP/IP network stack
>installed on any on PC using my app? (I realize there's no need for
>a NIC.)

For multiple connections, yes.

> > It uses an internal engine called IPServer, for a single local
> > connection. The client and the server share the same piece of
> > inter-process communication (IPC) memory to emulate a network
> > connection. Multiple connections can be dicey.
> >
> > IPServer is a kludge and it's being replaced in the Fb 2
>development.
>
>Wait, I *don't" need TCP/IP because it "emulates a network
>connection"?

You don't need TCP/IP for local connect (which is not the same as local
loopback). Local connect uses share IPC space.

>Now I'm confused.
>
>And what do you mean "multiple connections can be dicey"? Is it
>*not* safe to run multiple apps that connect to the server, all on
>the same machine at the same time?

Correct: if you are using local connect. If you are using local loopback,
you can have as many connections as you like.

"Local connect" and "Local loopback" are two different protocols.

/hb